The Christmas season is upon us and there are so many things for advertisers to think about in regards to their holiday strategy:
- More people on new devices including, tablet and mobile;
- Consumers will be sharing their holidays as well as looking for gift recommendations;
- and last but not least for some retailers January Sales will begin as early as Christmas day.
This is a lot to contend with, and social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter can be an excellent source to tapping into the holiday shoppers. In our Day 6 edition of our “12 Days of Christmas Strategy” series we are going to give you a few tips on how to make the most out of your Paid Social advertising strategy, and look at why it can be so beneficial for advertisers to be using these channels.
The first thing to mention is that advertisers need to be aware that social media activity changes during the Christmas and holiday period. This means that the way in which advertisers show content should change corresponding to this. As gifting becomes the primary reason for making purchases in December, change messaging to reflect this: “Get something special for that someone special.”
When targeting on Paid Social channels, advertisers are able to target demographics with a precision not available on other DSP’s. On Facebook, for instance, users must state their gender on their profile, this makes it incredibly accurate to creative gender targeting campaigns. Furthermore, many users share details of their relationship status as well as members of their family. Consider targeting males who are listed as in a relationship the few days before Christmas. If they are in a relationship with a woman use messaging such as ‘Delivery available in time for Christmas day, buy her the perfect present today!’ And you can also target males who are listed as in a relationship with a man ‘Delivery available in time for Christmas day, buy him the perfect present today!’ We know that most of us are notoriously late shoppers, so creating a sense of urgency in your messaging will help to get them to convert.
Look-a-like targeting is another very powerful tool available across many social platforms. If you have an audience email list of consumers who purchased previously, especially during last Black Friday and Christmas periods, consider using look-a-like targeting to expand your consumer base, and reach those who are most likely to purchase.
Email addresses can be an incredibly powerful targeting tool. These are people who you know have an interest in your brand, and in many cases have already purchased from you. Consider creating a list of people who purchased from you during father’s day or mother’s day, then send them messages like: “Make sure to get your Mum the gift she will love this Christmas,” or “Your Dad would look great in this new sweater!”
Increasingly Boxing day sales are beginning online on Christmas day, with businesses taking advantage of the increasing number of people on their phones and tablets. Across data from NMPi campaigns last year, Christmas day sees a much larger proportion of sales on mobile than average.
56% of Facebook users reportedly only log into Facebook on a mobile device, with the remaining 44% logging in across both mobile and desktop. Therefore, with more people accessing social media sites such as Facebook on mobile device rather than desktop, it may be worth injecting spend into your social campaigns over Christmas day and optimising your ads to appear best on mobile.
Hopefully, these tips will help you make the most out of your Paid Social campaigns this holiday season.